Welcome to the Accessibility Standards Committee! We are working on raising awareness about barriers and concerns related to full participation of persons with disabilities who live and work in Ontario.
Our current focus is on Ontario's Accessibility Standards:
- Proposed Accessible Employment standards. This is the final one being proposed.
- Proposed Accessible Built Environment standards (e.g., buildings, parks, outdoor areas)
- Proposed Accessible Information and Communications standards (See also the Technology Resource Committee page)
- Proposed Accessible Transportation standards
- New Accessible Customer Service standards which are now law. (See also the Service Quality Committee page)
We are also monitoring Federal standards for transportation:
Click here to see our Terms of Reference (under development).
For once, a positive editorial citing some of the right reasons for setting standards for accessibility. We recognize the rationale voice of Durham Region News.
Toronto Port Authority proposes an underground tunnel and pedestrian walkway to its Island airport, but so far it looks like accessibility for travellers is not part of the plan. Link to: Toronto Star news article (August 24, 2009) and Toronto Star news article (August 24, 2009)
- See articles and issues page for information on the standard and how to respond
With more member involvement, we could do more!
To join this Committee and to find out the next meeting date, please contact the Committee Chair. You must first be a member of CWDO to join a committee, and have the Chair’s approval.
If you are new, you will need to complete and send us a Membership Form.
Please review our IDEAL Conference® instructions to find out how to participate on a Committee.