Youth Activist Forum
Citizens with Disabilities-Ontario in partnership with The Council of Canadians with Disabilities presents:
The Youth Activist Forum (YAF)
Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario
June 3- 5, 2011
Calling on all youth between the ages of 16 to 30! You are invited to attend an exciting three-day event in Ottawa.
Why should you participate in the fun and interactive YAF?
At the Forum you will:
- Meet new friends with and without disabilities from across Ontario!
- Learn about a variety of disability issues and advocacy methods
- And of course, have tons of fun participating in games and activities!
Tentative schedule, subject to change
Friday, June 3:
3:00 -3:30 Registration
3:30-4:30 Ice breaker games
4:30-5:30 Steve Estey, Council of Canadians with Disabilities
Co-Directors Renata Soutter & Shara Weaver;
Performers: Bella Bowes, Rob Chartier, Jessie Huggett, Moni Hoffman, Liz Winkelaar
Musician: Dominique Saint-Pierre
Comedy with Attitude
Alan Shain “Comedy with Attitude"
Smashing Stereotypes Productions, Ottawa, Canada
Coney Island, USA
Saturday, June 4:
9:30– 10:45 Betsy Valnes, Executive Director, National Youth Leadership Netork
11:00– 12:15 Power Shifts: Historic and Current Uses of Non-violent Direct Action in the
Disability Rights Movement in the United States
Joe Stramondo , Disability Community Organizer with ADAPT Michigan
1:30 – 3:30 Workshops:
- Alan Shain: Stand-Up Comedy
- Jeff Preston: Comic Books
- Propeller Dance: Dance Workshop
3:30– 3:45 Break
3:45 – 5:15 Finding OUR COMPASS: A Documentary Screening about LGBTQ Youth with Intellectual Disabilities
Tess Vo, Supervisor, Griffin Centre's ReachOUT program
Onyii Udegbe, Project Coordinator, ReachOUT's sprOUT project
Rainbow Hunt, Scriptwriter and Actor, Our Compass video documentary
Josh Palmer, Scriptwriter and Actor, Our Compass video documentary
5:30 – 6:45 Supper
7:00 – 9:00 Coffee House Performances
- Kim Kilpatrick, Story Teller
- Jes Sasche
Sunday, June 5:
9:30 – 10:45 Jeffrey Preston, MA
Writer, Cripz: A Webcomic
10:45- 11:00 Break
11:15–12:30 Jes Sachse
12:30– 1:45 Lunch
1:45 -2:45 Jason Dunkerly, Paralympian athlete and medal winner
with Jane Arkell, Executive Director of the Active Living Alliance
2:45-3:45 : Roundtable lead by DAMN 2025
3:45-4:00: Closing comments
Chair of Citizens with Disabilities-Ontario
JOIN US! Don't miss out on your chance to participate in this awesome event!
Registration Fee: FREE!!!!!
Overnight Accommodations and meals
- We will be staying in Frontenac House Residence at Carleton University. We will cover the cost of your stay, based on double-occupancy
- Meals will be provided
- If you are travelling by VIA Rail (www.viarail.ca), we have a special arrangement and can cover the cost of your trip. Please do not book your travel until you have contacted Christine Kelly (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Wheelchair accessible transportation to and from Carleton provided by Paratranspo. Please contact Dale Stevenson (email@example.com) to make your bookings.
- For those of you using other means of transportation, please keep all receipts and we will try to cover a substantial portion of your costs.
- For applicants with Cerebral Palsy, please check out the Ontario Federation for Cerebral Palsy's (OFCP) Funding Program: http://www.ofcp.ca/day.php
Note: While all youth are welcome to apply, at least 50% of the spaces are reserved for those who self-identify as having a disability.
Registration is closed for YAF 2011.
NOTE: The Youth Activist Forum is also a participatory research project
funded by the Canadian Centre on Disability Studies that explores youth
involvement in disability politics in Ontario. Names of Youth Participants
will not be revealed in final reports or papers. You will receive more info
about the research with your application form.
"TOGETHER WE ARE STRONGER!"
Thanks to our sponsors and numerous supporters
Carleton University (www.carleton.ca)
Green & Vespry Law Offices (http://greenandvespry.ca/)
Numerous individuals and local businesses who supported our “Night at the Races” Fundraiser
|Crystal Van Boxtel||180|