Chair: Sousan Zaribaf
Council of Canadians with Disabilities (CCD)
The Council of Canadians with Disabilities has been leading the way to ensure that federally regulated transportation, like air and train travel, will be accessible and respectful of the needs of persons with disabilities.
CCD fought to ensure that persons with disabilities would not have to pay an extra fare when accompanied by an attendant, or if, because of their size, required more than one seat. Details of the "One Person One Fare" case, and press releases, can be found on the CCD's website. Click here to read CCD's press release.
Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA)
The Canadian Transportation Agency is responsible for ensuring that undue obstacles to the mobility of persons with disabilities are removed from federally-regulated transportation services and facilities.
The Agency removes undue obstacles in two ways:
- on a case-by-case basis by resolving individual complaints formally, through adjudication and informally, through mediation and facilitation
- on a systemic basis by developing regulations, codes of practice and standards concerning the level of accessibility in modes of transport under federal jurisdiction, including air, rail, and extra-provincial ferry and bus transportation
The Canadian Transportation Agency has just released two Implementation Guides to help Canadian air carriers better serve travellers who are blind or
have a visual impairment.
- Implementation Guide Regarding Space For Service Dogs Onboard Large Aircraft
- Implementation Guide Regarding Tactile Row Markers Onboard Large Aircraft
- Take Charge of Your Travel: A Guide for Persons with Disabilities
- Communication Barriers: A Look at Barriers to Communication Facing Persons with Disabilities Who Travel by Air
- Disability-Related Complaints
- Codes of Practice for Transportation Service Providers
- Moving Ahead Newsletters
- Air Travel Accessibility Regulations - Summary
- Highlights of One-Person-One-Fare Policy Decision
- Frequently Asked Questions - Accessible Transportation
- Reservation Checklist for Persons With Disabilities: A step-by-step guide for planning your travel
- Reservation Checklist for Travel Agents: A step-by-step guide for meeting the needs of travellers with disabilities